This message is being sent to Class, Chapter, Club and Shared Interest Group leadership as well as the Alumni Association Board of Trustees, the Foundation Board of Directors and Athletic and Scholarship Programs Trustees.
Alumni, Parents and Friends:
Our priority is the safety and well-being of the staff while effectively meeting our missions. The USNA Alumni Association and Foundation staff will continue to telework through mid-June with essential employees adhering to recommended safety precautions including practicing social distancing and wearing masks.
Over the past week, Governor Hogan has put a new Order into action for Marylanders, including Stage 1 of Maryland Strong: Roadmap to Recovery that began 15 May at 5 p.m. These actions are as follows:
- Public schools to remain closed for the rest of this academic year.
- Lifting the stay at home order to a “Safer at Home” advisory.
- Some businesses have been given the OK to reopen but with strict guidelines: Retail stores, barber shops, hair salons, manufacturing business, pet groomers, car washes, churches.
- Some outdoor activities were broadened: golfing, boating, fishing, playing tennis, camping. State beaches will be open for walking and exercising. Playgrounds reopen. State parks with closed functions will reopen.
- Elective surgeries allowance.
- Maryland is in a vaccine trial now. First patients in the U.S. received a test vaccine at U of MD School of Medicine.
Governor Hogan gave local leaders the flexibility to make decisions on the timing of Stage 1 reopening in their counties. Since the USNA AAF offices are located in Anne Arundel County, we also will be following Anne Arundel County Executive Steuart Pittman’s guidance. Executive Pittman has indicated that he would take a more conservative approach to Phase 1 reopening due to COVID-19 health data in the county. He indicated that Anne Arundel County will likely update its Phase 1 guidance by 4 June. The guidelines that Executive Pittman announced for the County effective 15 May included:
- Retail businesses will be allowed to open, but for curbside pick-up only.
- Customers are not permitted inside a non-essential retail establishment and employees must follow social distancing guidelines.
- Gatherings of more than 10 people are prohibited.
- Face coverings are still required for customers and employees in any retail business and residents are encouraged to wear them whenever interacting with others.
- It is still recommended that everyone remain at home.
We are supporting and following Governor Hogan’s Maryland Strong: BACK TO BUSINESS PLEDGE guidelines by reinforcing a socially distant environment, conducting routine cleanings, encouraging employees to wash their hands frequently, providing flexibility to our employees, and following the guidance of the CDC and the local health department.
An update on AAF operations follows:
- Our offices will remain closed to the public through 19 June.
- The Ogle Hall complex and Maryland Avenue offices will remain closed through 19 June.
- All Yard activities have been canceled through mid-June.
- Once we know the extent of summer and fall events associated with the Yard, we will update the calendar and this plan accordingly.
Since our March 2020 operational responses to COVID-19, the USNA AAF staff has supported the following virtual initiatives for alumni and parents:
The next USNA AAF COVID-19 update will occur by 19 June.
- Launched an alumni online business directory.
- Shifted the Jacksonville, FL, Service Academy Career Conference (SACC) to a virtual conference in mid-April; we will virtually host the DC SACC scheduled for June 2020.
- Moved all volunteer leadership meetings to a virtual environment. Conducted 5 major virtual spring volunteer leadership meetings in April and May.
- Welcomed members of the Class of 2020 with messages and virtual celebrations to the alumni community.
- Shared resources and messaging with our sister service academy associations of graduates.
- Announced the Chapel Dome project.
- Participated and supported virtual meet-ups with classes, chapters and SIGs.
- Continued to publish Shipmate and Wavetops.